Translate

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Why Shopping In Charity Shops Is Fashionable

As promised in my previous blog, I will tell you how to buy good quality brands of clothes with just a few pounds.

In every town or city, you will find a selection of charity shops. People wrongly assume they are full of rags. Something that has been donated and is second hand, may have been the wrong size or style for an individual, however it might have never been worn and could be very high quality. All you have to do is follow some simple steps when browsing in charity shops.
If you come across an item of clothing or footwear that you like, check it carefully to see whether it has been worn a lot. If so, its probably not worth buying. If it has plenty of life left and is priced well, by all means buy. Why would you want one top for £50, when you could have around 12 good quality tops for the same price. Charity shops are often selling clothes from fashionable high street shops such as River Island, Dorothy Perkins, Top Shop, H&M and many more. Some still have the original price tag on. However, there is no need to buy second hand knickers, you can pick up new ones quite cheaply. Bras are also tricky because after washing they slacken and can go baggy, but if it looks like new, go ahead and purchase. I sometimes have a hard time finding my bra size (32 D - 32 DD) in several underwear retailers, and miss out in sales, but I have stumbled across the odd second hand one. Remember to disinfect footwear thoroughly and wash clothes for hygiene purposes.
Of course it is not just clothing and footwear that you can buy second hand, accessories such as bags and scarves can also be found. I often come across things that are so unique and I love rummaging through an assortment of garments which I know are reasonably priced. When I go into a high street fashion retailer, I have a browse around, maybe find something I like, look at the price tag, gasp in horror, and walk out. If you come across an item which has a slight mark on, but it can be washed out, you may be able to get a reduction. My recent purchases from The British Red Cross Charity Shop was 3 dresses with a price range of £1.75 - £2.00.  They had a half price sale on all clothes in the shop. One was from Top Shop and like new. What a bargain!

So here are the pros of buying in charity shops:

  • Spend less
  • Help Charity
  • Recycle
  • Get Something Unique
  • Enjoyable browse 
Here are the cons:
  • Embarrassed to be seen shopping in charity shops
  • Unable to brag and show off how much you spend on clothes
Well folks, the choice is yours!

In my next blog I am going to tell you how to buy a perfume which is cruelty free, smells delicious and has real staying power all for £1.00. 

Delila DeMonte X

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what fantastic advice! I always used to buy the bulk of my clothing from charity shops but have recently started to get lazy about browsing Charity shops as you never know if you will find what you want, but I have to admit that sometimes that is part of the fun, never knowing what you may find! You have inspired me to get back into my Charity Shop Shopping. Thanks xox

    ReplyDelete