Translate

Friday 11 January 2013

Simple Ways To Care For Your Hands

During the winter, hands can become dry and are prone to cracking. I am always using my hands for washing dishes and cleaning. Of course constantly using water can increase the dryness. When I switched from using fairy liquid to cheap washing up liquid as a cost saving measure, I acquired a really painful crack on the end of my right finger. It took a long time to heal up and meant that the finger I most commonly use, was out of action for a while. I also found that the cheap washing up liquid, which stated on the label, use sparingly, just did not create any bubbles, was more like water and I had to use at least five times more of it than fairy. Anyway, the point I am making is fairy liquid is kinder to your hands than other brands of washing up liquid and also works out cheaper. You can get it on offer at the supermarket or you can find it in pound shops all year round.

I do not use rubber gloves because even extra strong gloves do not last five minutes. When in contact with hot water, they seem to leak straight away. I cannot afford to replace gloves on such a regular basis. Regular moisturisation of your hands is a must in order to prevent dryness. After washing your hands and before you go to bed, apply some moisturising cream taking care to rub it in to your hands and nails. I bought some cheap body lotion from my local supermarket and it does the job.

Some women like to wear false nails and have regular manicures. Whilst this looks nice, personally I find them  impractical and costly. Manicures are not cheap and are sometimes viewed as an essential part of a beauty regime, when in fact they are anything but essential. False nails can damage your natural nails. For a wedding, or a very special occasion, by all means treat yourself to a manicure. I like to keep my nails trimmed and just gently push back the cuticles using a cloth. However, I never trim cuticles as it is so easy to make them bleed. I always keep a nail file close by. I would recommend Barry M nail polish which is available in gorgeous neon colours. All Barry M cosmetics are suitable for vegetarians and many are also suitable for vegans. The brand is inexpensive and available in Boot's and Superdrug. I am only permitted to wear natural coloured nail varnish at my place of work which I suppose restricts me most of the time. I think as long as you take time on the rest of your appearance, healthy looking hands with natural coloured varnish or coloured nails look just as nice as professional manicured nails. You can always add more glamour by wearing dress rings or wearing bracelets on your wrists.

Coming soon in future blogs:
  • the secret to feeling more alive and invigorated without spending a penny
  • how to avoid salon bikini waxes
  • caring for your teeth

Thanks for your time!

Delila DeMonte x

No comments:

Post a Comment