Translate

Tuesday 22 January 2013

How To Care For Your Teeth

Adult teeth, normally present by age 13, are the only set of natural teeth you will have for the rest of your life. It is often said that you can't beat your own teeth, and I believe that to be true. It is important to take a little time every day to keep your teeth in good condition. Dental procedures are quite costly. It makes sense to try and prevent problems rather than to try to fix them, which could be very painful.

I do not have a perfect set of teeth myself, but I do look after what I have. When I was in my late teens, I went to the dentist for the first time. I found out I had 2 milk teeth still remaining. Later on I had them both removed. I now have one adult tooth which is growing by the day, I'm not sure how it will turn out, at least it is not painful. The root of my other tooth is still stuck in my gum somewhere. I have a tooth affixed there and will be going to a special dental hospital soon to see whether anything else can be done with my natural root. This is relatively rare amongst the population and is down to genetics.

Here are my top tip on how to avoid dental problems
  • Clean your teeth at least twice a day.
  • Use a tongue cleaner or your brush to clean your tongue. This can be a haven for bacteria.
  • Try to wait 30 minutes after eating before bushing, if this is not possible, have a drink of water and swill it around your mouth to neutralise the acids on your teeth.
  • When you brush your teeth, do so for around 2 minutes.
  • Try not to scrub your teeth, remember to be gentle. 
  • Remember not to rinse your mouth out after brushing, just spit.
  • Use a mouth wash after brushing. This helps to reduce the amount of bacteria in your mouth.
  • It is sometimes said, if you only had enough time to brush or floss your teeth in the morning, flossing is the most important. Flossing should be done daily.  Floss in between your teeth and bring the floss up and around your teeth. Be careful not to use the same bit of floss too many times as it could fray and get stuck in between your teeth. Move it around as you go.
  • Avoid drinking drinks with a high sugar content throughout the day or eating too many sugary sweets.
  • Do not eat hard foods such as really crusty bread or use your teeth to bite things such as tape.
  • Eat plenty of calcium rich foods. Cheese and natural yoghurt's actually clean your teeth.
  • Chew chewing gum after eating to increase saliva production which reduces bacteria.
  • Have a drink of water after eating or drinking something acidic. Swill the water around your mouth a little too. This should help to neutralise the acid on your teeth.
  • Invest in a good branded toothpaste and mouthwash. I use Sensodyne Pronamel toothpaste and mouthwash. I usually stock up on them when they are on offer for £2.00 each at health and beauty retailers. They help to prevent acid erosion and strengthen and re-harden tooth enamel.
So there you are, invest a bit of time into caring for your teeth, after all they can't clean themselves.

On the way in another Blog shortly:

How to Get Luscious Lashes!

Watch this space.

Thanks!

Delila DeMonte x


No comments:

Post a Comment